Monday, July 13, 2015

The Heat is Gonna Kill Me

The summer heat in Texas
is not for the faint of heart
The sun climbs high
early on and beats
relentlessly all day
the mercury soars
into the stratosphere
I walk in the tree shadows
on the street
trying to escape
that blistering sun
cowboy ranchers
come to town
and say
It's hot as farrr
Melted in my memory
I hear my grandmother
calling me
Get in here, you are gonna burn up!
and inside - blinds shut
cool air
and sweet tea.
I remember long ago before
S...P...F
playing outside
sun beating down
on my grandfather's farm
walking through
that bleached sand
burning my feet, frying my toes
finally making it to the grape arbor....
I've seen northern folks
cringe and exclaim
Is it always this hot in this place?
I have seen some
from the deep south
complain
Mercy, this is unreal!
well go find yourself
a magnolia tree
we've got 'em here too
perhaps a tall lemonade
It's not even that hot yet
August awaits like a golden promise
Heat Advisory
rolls across the TV screen
and from the distance
I'm digging in the flower bed
mining cannas and mondo grass
like I'm searching for a gold amulet
to reflect back onto the sun
and my once-native spouse says
You're going to have a heat stroke out there
and I very well may

but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment