Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Old Dogs

And farewell.../
He was big and white, a lover of a soft bed
With my fingers tight, I stroked his large head
White as snow and kind as a dove
Taught us about life and unconditional love
Running amok in a bed of snow flowers
Clamoring to come inside during May showers
His clumsy feet became slow
And there were fewer places he wished to go
With soft brown eyes, his head turned to me
Going to navigate a path I could not see
Through that valley we walked
And for the last time, I talked
To calm the unknown, his fear of the end
Calling on special ones to wait there for my friend
In the midst of that sad, shady summer time
Head bowed in sorrow for that upward climb
That night I dreamed
in peaceful sleep
of shady summer time
of old dogs and children
and watermelon wine”
--Tom T. Hall


No comments:

Post a Comment