Saturday, October 24, 2015

When the Chicken Crossed the Road

When the chicken crossed the road
I was walking with too-tired feet
and a too-smart border collie
When the chicken crossed the road
I admired him there bold
the black, speckled feathers
the red comb
I was not to worry
then the dog's ears flew up
sensing something...
My grip was firm
he understood
though out of sight
is truly out of mind
Then I happen to stumble
briefly upon a rock
and the leash in my hand
flew out like a bullet
The sensible collie
at once was free
the temptation was too much
for a good chase, you see?
It's what they do,
those collies
they herd
And that speckled
chicken
she was a running bird!
That hairy dog
he has sharp teeth
and a speckled bird
doesn't want to become meat
So she ran down
into a river ravine
where she dissapeared instantly
nowhere to be seen
So when the owner came out
calling her left and right
Well you know I wouldn't say
Sam gave her such a fright!

R ambling in the street
U nder blue sky so rare, we
N ever saw a fowl!

The disclaimer on this is that "No chickens were harmed in the making of this little story." This is also mostly fiction (if you read the fine print you will already know that I do make many things up). I did; however, see this exact same chicken when walking my dog, and his ears did perk up but we went onward without further ado. The inspiration for this post came from fellow blogger, RaineFairy and her blog, Tweak and Shout https://tweakandshout.wordpress.com/. She writes lovely acrostic haiku poetry that is much better than my paltry attempt above. Happy Friday everyone!
chicken-837506_1280

No comments:

Post a Comment