Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Farewell to a Friend

August is one of my favorite months in all its scorching glory, but this past month hung heavy like drapes of sadness overlapping memories. The first thing I had to cope with was my son growing up overnight and heading out into that big, monstrous world to compete with all those other young idealists, or maybe we could just call it “going to college,” nevertheless, a big step.
On the last day of this very emotional month, I received news of the death of a childhood friend. Like any bombshell that falls out of the sky on a regular Monday, news like that can rattle a person to their core. It's at once upsetting and unbelievable. I think back to the last time I saw her and the last time she messaged me to call, and I didn't take the time. Why must we always be so busy? So busy that we don't have time for things that really matter like a great friend? A friend that might need someone to talk to, maybe a small gesture that might mean so much to someone. 
Life is tough in general, even tougher for some people. Everyone has different challenges. Everyone makes mistakes. As we become older, we realize that perhaps the best feelings that fill a heart come from helping people and making this big circle of life connect to support each other.
With a heavy heart, I will say goodbye to my friend. I believe that her suffering has ended here. I believe that we go on. I will grieve for her family, her only daughter, and her little dog she left behind. I will bemoan, for a long time, not making the time to visit with her, to listen, to maybe help her sort out some of the future based on our kinship of the past.
So go now, dear girl
into that light
the day has mellowed
around you now
this bounded joy
endless dreams unfold
no more burdens, worries
or heartache
just stars
without limits
and love
without boundaries
a perfect lasting peace
calmness and serenity
and as you look down
and see me muddling
through this life
know how much
I love and miss you
and valued your friendship
Someday on that
distant shore
in an unknown place
a perfect retreat
I hope to see you
smile at me
like it's 1979 again
and maybe
we will laugh and sing
and drive your green Vega
in a city beyond
into another realm...
heaven-740392_1280

No comments:

Post a Comment